Who can foster?
Children need your care, your time and your skills. You have to
be interested in, and able to talk to, children and young people,
to have time, energy and understanding and, above all, a sense of
humour! You also have to be willing to work as part of a team with
parents and social workers.
We're sure that one of the first questions you'll be asking
yourself is whether or not you'll be considered suitable to foster
a child or a young person. Well, here's a checklist of what we
consider to be the essential qualities of a successful foster
Skills and qualities
Many fostered children have been through some very traumatic
experiences. They may have challenging behaviour or feel lonely and
A foster carer provides day-to-day care and much more. Your role
is to nurture and support the child; to help them develop and grow
and act on their behalf when dealing with others.
These are the key skills and qualities that we look for in our
foster carers. They may come naturally to you already or you may
need our training and support to make the most of your potential to
be an excellent foster carer.
To meet the essential criteria you must be able to:
- Provide a good standard of care for other people's children,
promoting their healthy growth, development and achievement
- Work closely with other professionals
- Work (where necessary) with the child's family and those people
important to the child
- Set appropriate boundaries and manage a child's behaviour
without resorting to physical or inappropriate punishment
- Understand child development
- Listen to and communicate with children in a manner appropriate
to their age and understanding
- Ensure that children are cared for in a home safe from harm and
- To communicate with a variety of people and promote
- Actively encourage children to learn
- Help them to feel positive about their origins, religion and
We offer a comprehensive training programme to prospective
foster carers as part of the 'Skills to Foster' course prior to any
placement and there is a range of further training available.